Tuesday, June 18, 2013

China-bound

Born a European and raised a Californian, traveling has been a very important part of my life for as long as I can remember. Until now my exploration has been restricted to North America and Europe but in two days I am off to see the East.

I just got my Bachelor's degree from a technical institute and even though it is in Southern California, there is a noticeable Asian population on and around campus. In the past four years, besides learning science, I've also learned a lot about cultures.

One of my good friend Cece, is from Beijing. Sometime in April, she snuck up on me with a suggestion that I visit her at her home in Beijing after graduation. I got quite excited and she immediately got to teaching me about Asian culture. That day we were at a Renaissance Fair, and she coached me through bargaining on a mirror from a peddler. Then we ended up at one of her favorite Chinese restaurants in LA and she taught me more about eating manners.

Now, I am in disbelief that Graduation has already passed, that I have my Visa, and that it's time to get packing!

Having never been in the East, I do not know what to expect beyond an amazing adventure. I feel like everything is different: food, language, climate, music, politics, economy, mentality, art ...

As I explore Beijing with Cece, I hope to absorb as many aspects of the culture as I can.

To warm myself up in the meantime, I decided to get my stomach used to Chinese food. I'm pretty sensitive to spice, so I decided train my spice tolerance:

This isn't exactly Chinese food, but note the drizzles of hot sauce and the peppers. It ended up being too spicy. Oh well. Tolerance building takes time and persistence.

To better understand the interactions I will see, I've found myself a good read for the 15-hour flight:

Now its packing time.

Cheers,
Nina.

No comments:

Post a Comment